Thursday, April 16, 2009

Easter in Mali


So, in a country that is 90% Muslim, I just happen to live in a little village that contains some of the 5% Christian population.  Last Sunday was Easter, here they actually celebrate Easter on Sunday and Monday.  What a great time.  The kids had 2 weeks off vacation from school, so we got a lot of coloring in-which if anyone wants to send crayons, I'd be more than happy to use them.  Anyway, Megan, my best pal in Segou came out to my village.  We had a great time.  She hard boiled eggs and we colored them with the kids.  They then ate them afterwords and got some protein.  
Tomorrow I am off to visit a fellow Peace Corps Vol up north.  His site has elephants there! I am so excited but it's a 11hr. drive to get there.  It's also super hot here right now-Sunday will be 108 degrees.  It's hot.  Really, uncomfortably hot.  Yuck

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Monica, you look nice. Megan looks nice too. Try to stay kool in the 100 plus degree weather. The kids are cute.

Missing you a lot

- dad

Unknown said...

Dear Monica, I am embarrassed that it has taken me so long to tell you how much I enjoyed your letter and the picture. I have it on my refridgerator so I can look at it every day. How sweet you are to write instead of e-mail.Your story about the cook stove, etc. seemed incredible! I'll send another box of goodies soon. Take care. Karen
P.S. Heard a Malian cora played on the radio the other morning. Sweet.