Sunday, July 5, 2009

One Year Mark!!!!


Well, it's almost officially been one year since I left for Mali. This time last year, I went out with my brother and his good friends (who are like brothers to me) and my best friend Shauna for a 4th of July celebration. The next day my wonderful family gave me a great going away party and thankfully the rain stayed away, even though the forcast was calling for it. As I think back at my decision to come here, and how everyone thought I was crazy, I know that I am so happy right now.

Many people are stuck in jobs that they hate, maybe in relationships that they are not happy in, or just in general not happy with their life. I am fortunate to have a great parents that even though I may not follow the normal path that most people do, they still support me. I'm doing work that really satisfies me. I may be living in the third poorest country in the world, but the people I've met here are truely amazing and wonderful. Within this last year I've picked up French, Bambara, and now starting tomorrow will have my Arabic lessons. I still get to keep up with the Spanish because of my Cuban friends. I've learned about grafting trees, and gardening. I've learned survival skills that may one day safe my little life! I'm learning about the importance of the life we are given, how fragile it is, to really make every day count, and how being kind to people is easy and it does come back to you.

So, in general thanks to everyone for sending me care packages, letters, and emails. Support from back home is just great. So, one year down and one more to go. Who knows where I will be heading to after Mali.

3 comments:

dad said...

Monica, you asked "Who knows where I will be heading to after Mali." I know that you will be heading to great things. I can feel it. I am so glad that you are learning foreign languages. We can practice the different languages when you come back to the USA, si tu veux. The next 12 months or so will go fast, davon bin ich sicher (I am sure about that). Mali sounds so great ... maybe I'll retire there and you can come visit me! What do you think of that? Keep up the great job ... avec amour, ton pere.

Monica Garcia PCV said...

Thanks dad! You've been the biggest supporter to me! You are great! My advise is to keep your dream of retiring in Italy. I'd visit you many many times there. It's hot here, and you won't find any gyms here! haha

Kanki said...

Mi querida niƱa que alegria el escuchar todo esto. Tu si has sabido VIVIR y has aprendido el verdadero significado de servir. Te amo y siempre estoy muy orgullosa de ti. Gracias por la carta...