Saturday, January 24, 2009

Inauguration and Updates

We have a new president!! I have a new boss!  I couldn't be more happy about it!  65 excited PCV's went to the American club in Bamako to watch the swearing in ceremony.  I was really excited about the whole process, wondering where our international camera crew was.  Instead they just kept showing shots of cute little kids in Jakarta watching the event.  Come on, 100+ Americans in Mali (3rd poorest country in the world) piled into one small room to watch this event on the AFN?  I think we deserved one.  

Anyway, the event was going very nicely until the one full minute of Arlington Cemetery was showcased.  14 days after we buried my grandma, I just was not ready to see the graveyard.  I started crying on the spot.  I held myself together long enough to see Obama sworn in, but that was it.  I had to leave.  I called my best cousin, Mary and just lost it.  It felt good, and it helped.  I was depressed for the rest of what should have been such a fun night.  

Overall, things here have been good.  I've been practicing my Bambara for 1-2hours everyday and hopefully this coming week I will start on my French lessons.  I'm learning more about shea butter productions, how to graft trees so we can start planting more (and bare fruit faster), I've learned about better and more efficient farming techniques, how to make mud stoves en brousse,  as well as the importance of sustainability in our work.  We also went to a local school and taught them about irrigation systems.  They were freezing, it's in the 70's during the day. 

I am back in the habit of taking bucket baths, wiping dirt off my feet before I get into bed, having oatmeal for breakfast every morning, squatting over a hole in the ground to go to the bathroom, waiting to hear back from people at home, sleeping with a mosquito net around me, and always caring toilet paper with me wherever I go because there is 99% chance of there not being TP where I happen to squat.  I have 1 more week here in Bamako, my homolouge (person in  my village that looks after me) will be coming tomorrow to get side by side training with me.  I am really anxious to get back 'home.'  It will be about 3 months since I've been there.  I miss my hammock, my 20k bike rides, my morning tea, and the slowness of life.  I also miss sitting under the stars and dreaming.  


Our highlight of the day today was the Snake Guy!  Look for yourself, as I really don't want to know specifics, but Mali has a lot of different types of snakes.  Some even may be poisonous and deadly.... Today he showed them to us, caged up.  He had his little boys with him that were not afraid at all of them.  I was.  I hate snakes.  In Mali, we have vipers, cobras, and various others.  If I happen to see a snake this is what I do:  don't move.  If I get bit by one I am to not panic, don't try to suck the venom out, and don't drink coffee or alcohol.  I'm ready!  I must say Phoenix has their share of snakes.   Unfortunately Mali does not have the 911 service or ambulances, so getting bit is not a good option.  On the bright side we were told only 20 people a year die of snake bites, Africa wide! I think I'll be ok!

I've rambled enough.  If you get anything from this blog, know that:  I miss my grandma terribly, it's warmer here than where you are, I get to wear flip flops to work, the president of Mali is Amadou Toumani Troure (ATT)- hey, Malians all over were watching the inaug. of our Pres, I feel it's my duty to inform the masses.

No comments: