Thursday, January 15, 2009

Motivated!

So, today in training I heard a great speaker today.  He was a vol. here in Mali back in the 90's.  He started his own NGO- African Skies-check the site out!  I was reminded of 2 things today.  1-this is a job.  I am here to work.  I went through almost a 1yr app. process to come here, it is not a 2yr (semi-paid) vacation.  
2- I was reminded today why i joined PCorps: because I wanted to do something here in Africa.  It is encouraging to see my fellow vols. getting equally excited by this one mans enthusiasm.  One person really can make a difference.  
I will be posting links to projects that anyone can donate to.  Even if it's $10 it can really make a difference out here.  Wells need to be built, workshops to be held, sanitation and nutrition advances to make!  Even though the economy in the US is going pretty bad, just remember how good we still have it.  Each and every one of us has electricity, running water, heat/cooling in our houses, food, and education for males and females.  These basic rights that we Americans feel we deserve are not needs that are met all around the world.   Instead of spending $40 on a new purse, think of what $40 could do here in Mali:-)  
Thanks-Monica
 

1 comment:

Kanki said...

I'm so proud of you.
besos