Friday, July 11, 2008

I Am In AfriCa!

 I made it! I finally made it!  After 1 year of looking forward to this adventure, I am finally here.  My excitement started when I boarded the Air France B777 and was in row 41!  I didn't care that it was a middle seat- i was excited to be on a B777!  Ofcourse I compared everything to what I knew from USAirways, but overall it was an awesome experience.  I slept as soon as we hit the tarmac until lights came on for breakfast.  After we landed in Paris-CDG we had about 4hrs of layover.  I was excited to get a nutella crepe or a croussiant(spelled) but in the end i didn't find one...well I cruossiant for 2.5oeuro (4$ no thanks!).
I am here in Mali now.  We are in the training center-about 77  of us. There is a good mix of males and females of all ages...not just people out of college.  I am happy with the people that are here.  We seem to have the same ideas and emotions about this whole experience.  It was great to see that I wasn't the only scared one, it great to see other people crying in the airport when they were saying their last 'goodbyes' to their loved ones.  I was lucky to have Brian come meet me at the airport to say 'au revoir' to me.  I'm really greatful that my brother and I are once again close.  
Well, to tell you a little about my life here so far: I am sharing a cute round hut with 2 other girls.  We are sharing a nygene (outhouse) with 9 other girls.  This outhouse is not like the nicaraguan one that I was used to....this one is just a hole in the ground- as opposed to the nice little seat we had in Nica.  Last night we slept with the windows and door open (screens on them) and i was sung to sleep by all the insects making their noises.  
Malaria med gave me an interesting dream, which I don't remember, but I remember it was crazy!  We are staying in the Peace Corps compound for another 3 days, then off to the homestays.  I like it here so far, but then again I really haven't been exposed to much.  
I'll try and write more as things come up!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeaaaahhhh girl!! You made it!! I am so proud of you, my bestest friend. :) I'm looking forward to hearing more about your daily life. Love you.
<3 Shauna

Chrisite said...

glad to see you are ok!!! we all hope you enjoy your time there. this kiddies are crazy and I am sure we pooped my grandmother out this week. she and your grandma were on the phone everyday and your grandma told her all about your very nice letter and how proud she is of you. we will be in touch babies crying must go
love
christie