Monday, July 14, 2008

I'm Really in Africa

Mali….so many things already to report. I am now protected against MMR, Yellow Fever, Hep. A, Rabies, Typhoid, oh yeah- importantly Malaria. Shots were not fun, however one must take the good with the bad. The language I will be learning is Bambara. When greeting someone, it’s not just a ‘hello’ it is a “how are you?, how is your mother, how is your father, how is your family? I am well, my family is well....get the point? I like it though, it’s not like learning Italian though!
It’s pretty hot here, but it is rainy season so it’s a lot cooler than during dry season. Two nights ago I was awoken at 430am by a huge storm passing through. It was amazing! The fresh air that came through my hut was so refreshing- until it started coming the windows. Then we had to shut them until we couldn’t bare the heat anymore. Really though, it was a pretty impressive downpour.
Yesterday we had the cultural fair. There were artisans that came in to sell some fabric, jewelry, there was also a music group, dance troop, and girls braiding hair and putting henna on! I got a really cool henna design on my feet. See picture. I decided against getting my hair braided. The music group was awesome. (See picture/video?). They are from the northern part of mali which has the more Arabic influence. There was also an amazing dance group. They danced a welcome dance for us.
I also had my first laundry experience here.  Not to keep comparing Mali to Africa BUT here in Mali the women just use a little hand held washboard.  In Nica. I had a whole sink to use with the concrete washboard molded into it.  This is going to prove a bit challenging for me.  So when you all are throwing laundry in the automatic, running water- washing machine, just think of me.  I will be in the hot Malian sun, under a tree somewhere hand washing my cloths from water that I had to get from a well.  I will update you all on this experience as my time here passes.  
For the next 12 days I will be immersed in Malian culture.  I will be staying with a family.  They tell us to be prepared for tons of children coming up to you, touching you, wanting to feel your hair, and just wanting to be around you....the truth is that I can't wait!  I miss being around children, and the thought of having a bunch of little ones with those big white eyes staring at me just thrills me.  Also, they are the best creatures to practice a second (or 3rd, or 4th) language too.  They don't judge and they have fun.   
I already could go on with a bunch of funny stories, but I'll cut it off for now.  I am still happy with my decision to to come out here.  I will get to see a little more of life out here in the following days.  
Now I will try to post some pictures.
Au revoir mes amies y familia (spanish?)


2 comments:

Unknown said...

i kind of pictured you washing your clothes in a river, lol! at least you have a well. :) the storm sounds nice, i think i would have liked that. miss you.
<3 shauna

Kanki said...

mi nina estoy muy contenta, al leer todo estoparece que lo estoy viviendo contigo...besos