Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Back to Village Life

I will be heading back to Kamona today.  My wonderful friend Megan lets me stay at her palace here in Segou whenever I want.  I say palace because it has the following:  running water, a toilet, a shower, ceiling fans, electricity, a place to sleep, tile floors, and of course-my good friend Megan.  I am so grateful to her hospitality.  Megan is a fellow PCV serving here in Mali. Her job is to work with the artisans here.  So, if you want any Malian hand crafts, she's your woman.
I am going to attempt to spend the next 11 days in my village.  It won't be bad at all.  It makes coming into Segou even more rewarding.  This week I plan on working in the fields more, getting to know more of the locals, and exploring my environment on the bike.  I don't think there are any special events going on in town.  School started yesterday for the kids, so it should be a bit calmer now.  I start my Bambara lessons this Saturday.  In a few months I will start French lessons.  My goal is to be quadralingual: English, Spanish, French, and Bambara.  I love languages!  
 Until then....

1 comment:

alexandra_lutz said...

Hi Monica! My name is Alexandra and I am staying at the World Vision Compound just at the edge of the road on the way to San. I spent 6 months here a few years ago and was friendly with Marc, the volunteer at the time. If you like, drop me a line alex@dri.edu, or call/text 8981428. I'll be here until Oct 25