Saturday, October 18, 2008

Lessons Learned


Text originally written on Oct.10

Yesterday, as I was about to leave my counterparts home after picking cotton, it was brought to my attention my rear bike tire needed air.  Possibly there was a hole it in, I didn’t know.  I pumped it up and off I went.  Maybe it was just a slow leak?

This morning I had plans to pick beans- I went to pull my bike out of the house and noticed the tire was completely flat!  No bid deal I thought, this will be as good a time as ever to learn how to change a bike tire- a rear bike tire no less!  I took out my PC bike manual, got the replacement tube and the special bike tools we were given.  I then flipped the bike upside down and started:

Step 1-release the brake.  How do I do this I thought to myself….after some tinkering and picture diagrams, I managed to release it.  So far so good.

Step 2-Lift the tire quick release.  This is the step that I’ve seen done before, didn’t look too hard, and thought I could do it without too much trouble.  Well, it wouldn’t be so difficult if I had a bike that had been maintained. I am currently using a loaner bike, a recently departed old vols bike, until our new bikes come in from Cote d’Ivorie.  The tire release handle didn’t want to move, so I had to hammer it loose.  This noise caught the attention of a young boy (there is ALWAYS someone passing by that wants to know what is going on).  He tried to put his two cents in but at this point I started getting annoyed and didn’t want to hear it.  He left.  I got my Gerber knife out- tried to unscrew the bolt.  Nada.  Then took the bike oil out to try to loosen the screw.  The young kid came back with two wrenches.  I appeased him, tired using the wrenches but still couldn’t loosen the bolt. I am now at the height of my frustration because if only this bike was taken care of this small task of changing a bike tire wouldn’t have been so difficult.  My little friend then tried himself to unscrew it.  It worked!  I was so excited and felt like a real jerk for not wanting to accept help.  I asked the boy how old he was, he didn’t know.  I played the guessing game…10yrs old I asked? ‘Yes’ he answered.  He didn’t look 10.  14? Yes, again.  I thought then that maybe he really didn’t know his age.  I took another stab in the dark. 100years old?  ‘Yes’ he replied. We finally agreed that he was 1000years old, with a big smile on both of our faces.  So myself and my 1000year old friend proceeded to take the wheel off the frame and from there he took over.  I stepped back and let the pro handle it.  At his point my homologue dad-Etienne stopped by with his little radio playing. He also wanted to know what the commotion was about going on in my front porch.  I told him I had a flat tire.  He then grabbed the old tube, sat on the ground with us and started looking for the hole to repair.  Within a minute, he found the hole, I gave him the repair sticker and he did the Malian “ehh?!”  It’s a great noise people make here when we see/hear something we don’t’ believe or think is crazy!  It’s great.  So, I explained to him that’s what we use to cover up tire holes.  He thought it was great, with a smile on his face he adapted to my western concoction and successfully patched the tube.  At this point person #3 stops by.  He wants to see what is going on.  This is the young man that runs the grain-grinding machine about 50meters from my house, and the apparent owner of the borrowed wrenches. 

Well, now my rear bike tire is repaired!  Together Mr. 1000 yr old and I put the tire back on frame, placed the chain back into position, tightened the cleaned screws, and I let my new friend test it out.  Now, to put things into a little perspective, I haven’t owned a bike since my pink, banana seat Huffy.  I stopped riding because the helmet law came into effect in New York.  Kids under the age of 13 had to wear them.  I thought they were ugly and swore off riding until I was old enough to not wear one.  Dumb right?  You all know me though, and know I am telling the sad truth!  I have been on a bike since then- my proudest bike moment was riding over the Golden Gate, into Sausalito, and all over San Fran.

Moral of story: I am proud to now be able to change a bike tire, but more importantly, what I learned from a 1000-year-old kid (he was most likely 12).  It is ok to ask for help, you can find it in least expected people or places.  Don’t expect to rely solely on yourself all of the time.  The sense of community here is amazing.  If anyone seess you working on something, they want to help.  I am sure glad they did help because I was ready to kick the bike over and wait for my new bike to come.  Instead, I fixed it, rode into Bla, bought some eggs and produce.  I had a nice eggs sandwich for lunch…which brings me to lesson #3, learn that day:  don’t buy eggs and transport them on Malian dirt rode 10k- they will break.  I managed to salvage 3 out of 4, but one of them being cracked. 

Finally, lesson #4 learned today- I can mess up even Easy Mac!  I left too much water in it when adding the instant cheese mix.  I successfully made it a few days ago though and it was just right! 

Overall, it was a great day!  Many things learned. 

 

Update, Oct. 18.  My new bike arrived the following Sunday.  It’s a pretty bike; it’s a brand new, dirt free bike!

No comments: