Sunday, October 19, 2008

Living Abroad, Life is Great

Anyone that gets an opportunity to live abroad should go for it!  I am having amazing experiences over here in Mali (as well as in Bruxelles and Nicaragua).  As I've said before, I never know what the day is going to bring me when I wake up in the morning.  Yesterday was going to be a calm saturday, sit at the pool and go on the internet.  I ended up hanging out at my favorite Segou spot-L'Auberge until about 11pm, then continued on to places I had never been to before.  It was one of those nights that I was expecting nothing big to happen and ended up having my best night in Mali so far.  Awesome company, live music, dancing, laughter, and great pictures!  I have been lucky to befriend the locals here.  Locals meaning they are not originally from here, but now reside in Segou because of work or family working here.  Megan and I were chatting with our Lebanese friend and made fun plans for today.  In about 1hr I will have belly dancing lessons! I  can't wait!  I have also been introduced to really good Lebanese food, and am simultaniously learning French and even some Arabic words.  Learning about other people cultures and way of life is so fun and really opens  your eyes to life.    I now have plans to go kyaking up the Niger next time I come out to Segou, as well as other fun excursions.  

Life is really great.  On my bike ride home from last Segou trip I was thinking.  I am truely happy right now.  Despite being without all of the luxuries that I am accustomed to ie: electricity, running water, tv, constant internet, a refridgerator, a car, et al. I am really happy.  I am doing exactly what I've dreamed of doing- working in Africa, doing development work.  I don't have to go into an office building everyday, or have to eat lunch at a scheduled hour.   I have formed some really great friendships, am learning a few languages, and overall just doing something totally crazy and adventurous!  Of course everything is not perfect.  I miss my family and friends back home, I don't have a special someone to share this experience with, and I can't just hop on an airplane whenever I want to get out of town, but I will have all of that when I get back to the US.  Right now, I am focusing on my work that I need to accomplish while here, but also completely savoring every moment that I experience here.  I have been given an amazing opportunity, and I am happy that I am able to share it with everyone in this blog and through pictures.  
Alright, I better go now.  Dancing lessons and special food!    

No comments: