Saturday, August 9, 2008

Finally made it into the capital.

Today I was one of the few lucky ones to get a free day.  I was able to sleep in (until 830am), then I sat outside and did my bucket of laundry on the washboard with 3 other girls.  I then hung out in my little hut, cleaned out my suitcases, and then took a nice long shower.  I even did my hair-well wore it curly.  Since it's just so hot here in Mali, the typical hairdo is pulled back.  I do get creative: braids, pigtail braids, ponytails, or bobbypinned, but today was special.   
The big event of the day was to go into town and eat at the Toubob restaurant, and shop at the grocery store.  I used a flush toilet for the first time in 1 month!!!!!  That was highlight #1.  The toilet was in the nice restaurant that we ate in.  I started out with an appetizer of fries, then followed that with a main course of cheese pizza.  It was a glorious event.  I washed down these food items with a cold Castle Grosse.  Bliss.  Oh yes, and cake for dessert.  
After the restaurant we walked over to the grocery store.  I really had to stop for a moment to see if i was really dreaming this up!  It was a nice little European grocery store that had cold items in it, Corn Flakes, and to top it off....Nutella!  I opted to just buy some Lays, bleach, and a Popsicle,  but the fact that there is a little bit of heaven right here in Bamako makes me so happy.  
Bamako.  I finally went into the city.  It was not really what I expected, but then again I really didn't know what to expect.  Most of the buildings I saw were 2 floors or lower, there were a lot of cars/motobikes, and a lot of people.  I am looking forward to exploring the city more... right now it's jut a big disorganized mess to me.  I'm sure it's not though.

So, I finally had a recharging day!  I feel great!  I am ready to go out into the Mali real world and see where I will be living for the next 2 years.  
ShoutOut....Aunt Kath-you win the person of the month for me!  When I was cleaning out my bags this morning I remembered that I did have battery solar charges, but was mad that I didn't go buy rechargeables before I left HOWEVER, I opened the solar charge and voila! There they were.  4AA's and 4AAA's.  I shouted a 'Thank God/Tia Kath!!'  So, that just added on to my great day.  I'll be back next week.  Enjoy the nice amenities of the U.S. I hand washed cloths for 1.5hrs this morning, and now I have sun-dried hard jeans.

1 comment:

Kanki said...

Ay mi nina que maravilla..las fotos estan chulitas...los ninos bellos. Gracias por compartir esto con nosotros. Besos...