Saturday, September 13, 2008

It's Official!

As of yesterday morning, at the US Embassy here in Mali, it was made official that I am a United Stated Peace Corps Volunteer.  I will join the 3000 people that have served here in Mali since the 1970's.  It is actually a good feeling to be official.  We had a really nice ceremony at the embassy, then we went on to the pool at the American club.  Highlights of this event were: eating hot dogs and hamburgers,  hanging in the pool, just having the feeling that I was in the US.  
Reflecting back on the last 2 months, I realize I'm really lucky.  I have met some incredibly cool, genuine people.  I have an amazing opportunity, and although it is not always easy, comfortable, or fun, I know that I will be making a difference.  Even if it is just in my small village.  
Tomorrow I am off to Segou for the next few days.  There I will be able to meet some local officials, upload some pictures, and buy some things for my house.  I need a washboard for doing laundry, and big bucket/trash can to store clean water in, and some other odds and ends.  Today I did a little grocery shopping in Bamako.  I was able to buy 2 ceramic mugs and bowls, 4 forks, and 4 spoons.  So, when you come visit me you won't have to eat with your hands-as the locals do (you are more than welcome to try though!).  Soon I will be in my new house.  I will have painting and cleaning to do.  I think I'm going to paint the inside a nice bright color.  Any suggestions?  Adventures ahead!  

No comments: