Sunday, September 7, 2008

Some Malian History

I have been meaning to write this since I found out I was coming here.  I am just now getting the opportunity to do so.  Since I will be spending the next 2 years in Mali, I feel it is my duty to educate my readers a little bit about this wonderful country.  So, in a few short paragraphs I will tell you about my new country of residence.  The following information was found from a trusted source.

Mali is a landlocked country in West Africa.  To the north of us is Algeria, to the east of us is Niger.  Burkina Faso, Cote D’Ivoire, and Guinea are all south of Mali.  Senegal and Mauritania border the west.  Mali is twice the size of Texas (fun fact!), however 65% of this land is Sahara Desert.  The majority of the population lives below the Sahara in the southern part of the country-mostly below the Niger River. 

There are basically 3 seasons here: rainy, cool, and dry/hot.  Right now we are in the rainy season (June-Oct).  It’s great because it’s not super hot, although the humidity can be brutal sometimes.  Soon it will be ending and a brief cool season (Nov-Feb) comes right before we are hit hard with the heat.  That season lasts from March to May…don’t plan on visiting during these months!   They say it can get up to 115degrees, no A/C of course. 

Facts: Mali’s pop. is approx. 12 million people, with around 1 million people living in the capital, Bamako.  Life expectancy is 49years old.  Mali is a Muslim country; Sunni being the dominate sect.  Mali was a French colony until 1960, when it won its independence. They have presidential elections every 5 years with a 2 term limit.  Right now the President is Amadou Toumani Toure or ‘ATT’.  Mali is currently ranked the 3rd poorest country in the WORLD, according to the 2006 Human Dev. Report (Sierra Leon and Niger are ranked 1st and 2nd respectively).

 

So, there you have it.  You all know a little bit about Mali.  On a personal note, I really like it here.  Of course everyday isn’t great, but is it anywhere?  It’s a different world out here, but what I find really important is that the people I am surrounded by are really great. 

 

No comments: